qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: commit rules for common git tree

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: commit rules for common git tree
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:40:31 +0100

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 07:23:28PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 05:01:38PM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> > Likewise, if you see a patch go in that you think would have benefited
> > from being on the list, point it out.
>
> How *would* I see it? I guess I could write scripts that correlated git
> logs (or qemu commit list if it is ever resurrected) with mailing list
> archive.  If patch is not there, look in mailing list around the time
> for a hint: could have explanation in the discussion. Or maybe it is
> part of a series someone pushed ... you get the point.

All those commit have a single Signed-of-by: line. That decreases the
number of patches to take.

Anyway I still don't really understand you are trying to achieve here,
and without pointing to real problems, I am not sure we are going to
understand.

The life of committers is not really easy, and the patch submitters do
not really help to improve it:
- a lot of patches are only reviewed by the committers, not so many
  persons send Acked-by: mails.
- you have to deal with code you don't understand
- you have to track continuously respined series (with patches moving
  from one to another, being merged or changing title)
- you get complains when you review a patch
- you get complains when you don't review a patch fast enough
- you get complains after you applied a patch
- etc...

This is not always fun. If you want to add more strict rules to the
committers without reasons, you will just get the contrary effect and
slow down the development process.

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
address@hidden                 http://www.aurel32.net