qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: SVM support in 0.12?

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: SVM support in 0.12?
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 20:03:58 +0000

Alexander Graf wrote:

> Am 18.12.2009 um 03:39 schrieb Jun Koi <address@hidden>
>
> >On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Jun Koi <address@hidden>
> >wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I am running latest Qemu 0.12-rc. My guest VM runs Linux kernel
> >>2.6.31.
> >>
> >>Because Qemu now supports SVM, I expect to see the SVM flag in
> >>/proc/cpuinfo, but that is not the case.
> >>
> >>So it seems SVM support is not enabled by default configuration??
> >>

> >My host and guest are both 32 bit Linux, if that matters.
> >
> >(And this is pure Qemu, without using KVM or KQemu)
>
> Kqemu actually works with svm emulation.
>
> Have you tried -cpu qemu32,+svm? I think I only enabled svm on qemu64,
> because I'm not aware of 32-bit AMD CPUs that can do svm.

32-bit VT (Intel) definitely exists.

If there aren't any 32-bit AMDs with SVM, does SVM even have defined
32-bit semantics?

But I see the kvm kernel code can build 32-bit SVM support.  I wonder
if it has ever been tested :-)

> Also, back when I developed it, 32-bit kvm didn't really work
> properly. So please let me know what you find out!

Do you mean 32-bit kvm on a 32-bit host, or 32-bit kvm inside your SVM
emulation?  kvm works very well on 32-bit Intel hosts.

-- Jamie