qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: irq latency and tcg

From: Paul Brook
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: irq latency and tcg
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 23:29:48 +0000

> According to comment in exec-all.h:
> /* Deterministic execution requires that IO only be performed on the last
>    instruction of a TB so that interrupts take effect immediately.  */
>
> Sparc generator must then violate this assumption. Is the assumption
> valid also when not using icount and should the check be enabled for
> all cases, not just icount?

Not really.  With -icount we're trying to achieve deterministic behavior[1].
When icount is disabled a few extra instructions interrupt latency is the
least of your problems.

I guess with in-core peripherals you may be able to accurately predict
interrupt response. However for the vast majority of cases I wouldn't be
surprised if real hardware has a few cycles latency anyway.

Paul

[1] Even with -icount, qemu is still a long way from being cycle accurate. The
goal is to give reproducible and consistent results. Actual realtime
characteristics are still likely to be very different from real hardware.

Paul