qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Spice project is now open

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Spice project is now open
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 21:27:22 -0600

Chris Wright wrote:
* Anthony Liguori (address@hidden) wrote:
Izik Eidus wrote:
Ok, I guess you think VDI-interfaces are doing much more than they do
in reiality.

It is just simple interface to Allow Spice / VNC / whatever not have to
de-duplicate code in order to get information from - lets say the
keyboard....

Is it really diffrence from any other function callbacks that used for
such purpuse?
Plugin interfaces have been discussed a few times in the past. The concerns have been 1) they will be abused with the introduction of proprietary plugins 2) we would have tremendous difficulty maintaining a stable plugin abi 3) they would create stability issues in qemu because the plugin quality cannot be controlled.

I think you're talking about dlopen() vs. direct linkage of .so?

Here's some code to ground things a bit.

ifdef CONFIG_SPICE
CFLAGS+=$(SPICE_CFLAGS)
LIBS+=$(SPICE_LIBS)
endif

And specifically, there's a notion of the VDI interface added to
core qemu, which can be extended by simply registering callbacks to that
interface:

vl.c::main()
#ifdef CONFIG_SPICE
        spice_init(&core_interface);.
#endif

Ah, that's entirely reasonable. When user provided libraries was mentioned, I assumed dlopen() style plugins.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori