qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Spice project is now open

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Spice project is now open
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:58:43 -0600

Izik Eidus wrote:
Ok, I guess you think VDI-interfaces are doing much more than they do
in reiality.

It is just simple interface to Allow Spice / VNC / whatever not have to
de-duplicate code in order to get information from - lets say the
keyboard....

Is it really diffrence from any other function callbacks that used for
such purpuse?

Plugin interfaces have been discussed a few times in the past. The concerns have been 1) they will be abused with the introduction of proprietary plugins 2) we would have tremendous difficulty maintaining a stable plugin abi 3) they would create stability issues in qemu because the plugin quality cannot be controlled.

For 3, it's a matter of getting a bug report of a crash in qemu with a random plugin module enabled. How do we know whether the crash is really a qemu bug or whether it was an issue in the plugin? This isn't so bad in dynamic languages like Python but it's a real pain in C.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Regards,

Anthony Liguori