qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Staging update (0.12 pending freeze)

From: Luiz Capitulino
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Staging update (0.12 pending freeze)
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 21:53:50 -0200

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:21:18 -0600
Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Finally the 'default devices' patch series ('must have' IMHO):
> >
> >   http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/39180/ (patch 1/10)
> >
> > Without that one using -device and -readconfig becomes much harder.
>
> This series doesn't get along with the QMP monitor support that's been
> added recently.  That's because there is now a set of monitor flags and
> -monitor takes more than a character device as an argument.

 For QMP there is only one flag, which is 'control', like:

-monitor control,<device>

 Multiple Monitors work just fine, like:

-monitor stdio -monitor control,tcp:localhost:444,server

 I've even tested multiple QMP monitors iirc. :)

> Honestly, I don't really like multiplexing the -monitor option to
> support qmp.  I think I would have a proper -qmp option at the top
> level.  That would integrate much more nicely too with this default
> devices series.  Luiz, what do you think?

 Multiplexing the monitor is really useful for testing and it doesn't
seem reasonable to me to drop this feature just because we can't
add a single flag to an existing command-line option.