qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: POST failure (loop) with isapc and seabios

From: Sebastian Herbszt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: POST failure (loop) with isapc and seabios
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 23:11:39 +0100

Kevin O'Connor wrote:
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 02:20:39PM +0200, Gleb Natapov wrote:
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 06:09:51AM +0000, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> But the BIOS must be reloaded from ROM, I'm guessing, if the keyboard
> controller method is used and the word asking for a branch back to the
> application has not been set.  Because that's how a modern OS (if not
> using ACPI) asks for a system reset.
> > Do you think the above is (a) correct, and (b) what's implemented? > Do different things during reset depending on CMOS values doesn't sound
right to me. I don't know what is implemented right now. I thought that
we reload BIOS on reset.

We could have qemu do a soft reset (not reload rom) on a triple fault
or keyboard controller reset, and then have SeaBIOS request a hard
reset (have qemu reload rom) if it detects a soft reset that is not a
"resume" request.

I'm also not sure what qemu does today.

I don't think such an interface would add a long time benefit and would prefer
a proper solution which will not tie seabios even more to qemu. One day it might
be possible to run a commercial BIOS on qemu, just like it is possible on Bochs.
Adding this interface might prevent that.

- Sebastian