qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [sneak preview] major scsi overhaul

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [sneak preview] major scsi overhaul
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 22:25:34 +0100

On 11/09/09 21:38, Blue Swirl wrote:
As Michael notes, devices have physical address sizes independent of the
target platform; a PCI device that supports 64-bit addresses can be plugged
into a motherboard that supports 32-bit address bus processors.

True. But I think the solution is not to make all buses maximum width,
but support multiple buses with width translation in between.

I suspect translating between 32 and 64 bit is more complex and more overhead than simply using 64bit all the time.

We could improve the compilation system so that on 64 bit hosts the
benefit of single size target_phys_addr_t results in compiling the
files only once.

I think this is already the case. When building on x86_64 host (both 32bit and 64bit targets) I find the libhw32 directory empty ...

cheers,
  Gerd