qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] PC machine types switched to SeaBIOS/gPXE

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] PC machine types switched to SeaBIOS/gPXE
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:54:49 -0500

Hi,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I've switched the PC machine type to SeaBIOS and gPXE. SeaBIOS is a port of the Bochs BIOS to GCC, by Kevin O'Conner, along with quite a lot of clean up and new feature work.

gPXE is the new development tree of etherboot which is now deprecated. We've done a lot of testing of and while there are a few outstanding issues, almost everything seems to be working okay.

Some known issues:
o e1000 pxe booting doesn't seem to work
o gPXE does not like the slirp tftp server
o SeaBIOS doesn't support CPU hotplug (not an issue for upstream qemu)

I've renamed the old pcbios to pcbios.bin. If you suspect a bug in SeaBIOS, you can use "-bios pcbios.bin" to try with the old BIOS in an effort to debug.

I want to thank everyone who helped make this all happen. It was a big effort and I think it's going to be a really nice feature for the 0.12.0 release!

--
Regards,

Anthony Liguori