qemu-devel

Re: [coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0

From: Stefan Reinauer
Subject: Re: [coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 00:46:28 +0200

Jordan Justen wrote:
> I'm not going to take a side on this matter.  But, I think what will
> be more important is what is used in the majority of OS's and systems.
>  This is why we still put the 16-bit legacy BIOS as the #1 priority
> after ~30 years.  But, like I mention, I think there are signs that
> this may shift towards UEFI at some point.

Looking at today's OSes, the BIOS "interface" is basically completely
unused except for loading the OS kernel.
For future generations of firmware and computers and virtual machines it
might make sense to optimize with that situation in mind.

The industry we're working in does not see UEFI can cope with the
problems firmware has today, unfortunately. After seeing EFI fail so
badly with the Itanium it would certainly be nice to see if something
can evolve from it in a decade, or two. We're watching excitedly.

All the best,
Stefan