qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0

From: Jordan Justen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 22:37:33 -0700

I work for Intel on the edk2.tianocore.org project.  (Compared to the
original edk) edk2 may be of interest to those on this list since it
supports building on several OS's with several different toolchains.
In other words, it also supports building under Linux and OS X with
the GNU compiler and binutils.

Within our edk2 tree, we have two projects that relate to QEMU.

The DUET platform is a UEFI emulator that boots like a legacy OS on
top of a legacy BIOS.  It contains various hardware initialization
drivers for several legacy hardware devices, but it also will call
into the legacy BIOS and make use of certain items from the legacy
BIOS.  DUET can boot from the QEMU legacy BIOS, but it does require a
disk to be setup to have the DUET image on it.  I am not sure if all
of DUET's code is currently safe for a UEFI OS to be able to access
UEFI runtime services.

The OVMF platform is a project to build a (mostly) UEFI compatible
firmware for virtual machines.  QEMU support is one of the main goals
for OVMF.  The OVMF rom image completely replaces QEMU's standard
bios.bin, and therefore we must have hardware drivers for any hardware
within the QEMU VM that we want to make use of.  The project also has
the goal to support UEFI OS's at runtime.

-Jordan