qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu savevm and CPU soft lockup

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu savevm and CPU soft lockup
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:40:00 +0200

Am 24.09.2009 18:20, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
> Kevin Wolf wrote:

>>> It's the same infrastructure.  The reason savevm isn't live is that
>>> savevm stores it's data in a qcow2 file.  Right now the way qcow2 is
>>> structured, the snapshot has to be a fixed size and allocated at once.
>>> In order to make savevm live, we need a method to stream savevm data to
>>> a qcow2 file while still allowing other IO operations to that qcow2 file.
>>>
>>> I'm fairly sure this will require a change to the qcow2 format in order
>>> to support this.
>>>

>> Hm, snapshots are nothing complicated from qcow2 perspective. Why do you
>> think data needs to be fixed size?
>
> What happens if you're in the middle of writing snapshot data and
> another cluster has to be allocated?  You'll need a way to store the
> snapshot data discontinuously.

Well, mapping virtually continuous data to discontinuous areas in the
image file is just how qcow2 works, right?

If you look at qcow_vmstate_load/save(offset), this is basically just a
call to bdrv_pread/pwrite(virtual_disk_size + offset). So for snapshots
it works exactly the same way as with regular data (which usually isn't
preallocated in qcow2 images).

Kevin