qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Extending virtio_console to support multiple ports

From: Rusty Russell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Extending virtio_console to support multiple ports
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:50:45 +0930

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 02:07:05 am Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Amit Shah wrote:
> Functionally speaking, both virtio-console and virtio-serial do the same
> thing.  In fact, virtio-console is just a subset of virtio-serial.
>
> If there are problems converging the two drivers in Linux, then I
> suggest you have two separate driver modules in Linux.  That would
> obviously be rejected for Linux though because you cannot have two
> drivers for the same device.  Why should qemu have a different policy?

I've been on leave, cheerfully not thinking about this.

AFAICT, a console and serial are very similar, so it makes sense to merge
them.  But a serial port doesn't have framing either; if it does, it's
something else.

And generally using virtio framing in upper layers is a mistake (one we've
made in the qemu implementations, but that's unfortunate).

Thanks,
Rusty.