qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] patchwork service.

From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] patchwork service.
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 02:38:56 +0200

On 15.09.2009 00:50, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Jean-Christophe Dubois wrote:
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/qemu-devel/list/
>>
>> But it is not used as the patch status is not updated for quite a few
>> of them (even if they have been accepted/merged since then).
>
> I looked at the patchwork tooling and it didn't seem to easily
> integrate into my work flow.  It seems to be designed with the idea
> that you use their tools to pull and manage patches.  I don't think
> those tools will scale to the volume of patches qemu-devel sees
> though.  Plus, there's no easy way to deal with the fact that other
> maintainers may not use it.  Now there are a few thousand patches and
> trolling through would take ages.

Note that there are scripts which can be placed in commit hooks and
automatically mark patches as applied if they were not changed between
submission and applying.
There are also scripts which walk the commit history between commit A
and commit B and run the commit hook script for every commit in between.

> Not really sure how to best proceed.  I'm open to suggestions.

flashrom and coreboot are doing pretty well with the patchwork commit
hooks. Patches which were changed between sending and applying need
manual care, and patch versioning (improved new editions of a patch) is
not handled automatically yet. Still, having people invest a few minutes
daily to check if some patches look like they've been superseded by new
versions helps us keep the patchwork database clean.

All of this is done without incorporating patchwork into the workflow,
so patchwork is essentially just a public patch management/tracking tool
which can help us remember those patches which slipped though the cracks.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/