qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] why did qemu add the KVM ?

From: Amit Shah
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] why did qemu add the KVM ?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:27:21 +0530

On (Thu) Sep 10 2009 [23:45:41], yuanzhu86 wrote:
>    there is a KVM.c in the target-i386 ,
>    but why did QEMU have this program?
>    shall anyone tell me the fuction of KVM.c to the QEMU ?

When a disk image is given to qemu, qemu converts instructions from the
target architecture to the native architecture. This enables it to run,
for example, ARM binaries on x86. However, when you want to execute x86
code on x86, the translations are not necessary. KVM is code that
short-circuits those translations so that x86 binaries are run directly
on the host x86 CPU.

KVM is a kernel module that handles processor-specific state so that
guests can run side by side normal processes. KVM.c in QEMU sources
interfaces with the KVM kernel modules.

                Amit