qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: virtio-serial: An interface for host-guest communic

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: virtio-serial: An interface for host-guest communication
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:02:36 +0200

On 08/10/09 15:02, Anthony Liguori wrote:

I think you're missing my fundamental point. Don't use the kernel as the
guest interface.

Introduce a userspace daemon that exposes a domain socket. Then we can
have a proper protocol that uses reverse fqdns for identification.

We need nothing but (a) bidirectional byte streams and (b) name tags for them.

Do we really want design a daemon and a protocol for such a simple thing? Especially as requiring a daemon for that adds a few problems you don't have without them. Access control for example: For device nodes you can just use standard unix permissions and acls. You can easily do stuff like adding the logged in desktop user to the /dev/vmchannel/org/qemu/clipboard acl using existing solutions. With a daemon you have to hop through a number of loops to archive the same.

Can't we simply have guest apps open "/dev/vmchannel/$protocol" ?

cheers,
  Gerd