qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: virtio-serial: An interface for host-guest communicatio

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: virtio-serial: An interface for host-guest communication
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:22:54 -0500

Amit Shah wrote:
Hello all,

This are the latest version of the patches.

Lots of things have changed since the last submission. A few of
which I remember:
- VNC copy / paste works* (* conditions apply)
  - client vnc copies get propagated to guest port 3 (/dev/vmch3)
  - guest writes to port 3 (/dev/vmch3) go straight to client's clipboard

Why 3?

Where's the guest application that drives the copy/paste?

I expect the first problem you'll run into is that copy/paste daemon has to run as an unprivileged user but /dev/vmch3 is going to be owned by root. You could set udev rules for /dev/vmch3 but that's pretty terrible IMHO.

I think you'll find that you need a root daemon that talks to vmchannel and then allows unprivileged connections over a unix socket device. In that case, why even bother having multiple channels since your daemon can multiplex..

Regards,

Anthony Liguori