qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Extending gdb stub implementation with ARM926 registers

From: Nathan Froyd
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Extending gdb stub implementation with ARM926 registers support
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 12:26:37 -0700

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 09:05:35PM +0400, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> As you know, ARM926 has few registers that are not supported by
> current gdb stub. For instance, SPSRs, R13_abt, etc.
>
> Is it possible to extend gdb stub in this way?
> I would try to do it by myself, but I need some guidelines. Obviously,
> I need to extend the stub with some xml files describing these
> registers and add its processing somehow. How?

You'll need to:

- Write the necessary XML file(s) in gdb-xml/.  I believe the format of
  the XML files is minimally documented in the GDB manual.  Reading
  other XML files can help as well (both in QEMU and GDB itself);

- Add those XML file(s) to gdb_xml_files in configure for appropriate
  targets;

- Add appropriate calls to gdb_register_coprocessor in
  target-arm/helper.c:cpu_arm_init.

-Nathan