qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [POLL] slirp statistics - enable or drop them?

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [POLL] slirp statistics - enable or drop them?
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:00:12 +0200

Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 06/22/2009 03:28 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> I just broke (locally) the slirp statistics. You know: "info slirp".
>> Maybe you don't because they are off by default, and there is even no
>> hidden configure switch to enable them ("#define LOG_ENABLED" or
>> "-DLOG_ENABLED" is required). Before fixing them again, I wonder if
>> there are actually use cases out there.
>>
>> Basically I have three options now:
>>
>>   - drop them completely (would make my nice, 1600-lines dropping slirp
>>     cleanup patch even nicer...)
>>   - fix them and leave them disabled, maybe adding some
>>     --enable-slirpstats to configure
>>   - fix them, but turn them on by default again so that Joe User is able
>>     to, well, actually look at them
>>
>> Feedback appreciated.
>>

> I don't see the need for slirp stats.  A production deployment is not
> going to use slirp, and a developer deployment won't need slirp stats.

OK, drop++.

BTW, there is one definitely useful part of "info slirp": the connection
listing at its end. It's basically what Alexander Graf recently
contributed, but more complete. I already factored this part out and
will submit an advanced version, likely under "info usernet" - who knows
what "slirp" means...

Jan