qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Regression opening read-only cdroms

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Regression opening read-only cdroms
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:54:44 +0300

On 06/16/2009 08:46 PM, Jamie Lokier wrote:
It only is useful if we can expose that read-only attribute to the
guest.  You can't do that consistently with all block devices so the
result would be that you'll fail write operations causing a guest to crash.

You should get disk write errors, rather than a simple crash.  Any
decent operating system will spew a lot of printks, which is a clue.

I don't consider this useful behaviour and see no motivation to support it.

Users who expect things to just work will be even more surprised that
"-hda image" where image is read-only does not give any error from
QEMU, but their guest crashes.  Or that "-hda image" works as usual,
and their guest crashes, and eventually they discover it's because
their disk image is not writable, and it's always worked before
because they were using -snapshot or something like that, and QEMU
didn't warn them it would be a problem...

I agree, for non-cdroms/floppies, non-backing store files we should require write access.

It is also appropriate for disks that you intent to always mount
read-only in the guest anyway, even if the interface doesn't have a
flag, just to protect the image from aberrant guest behaviour.

Maybe -drive ...,snapshot.  The disk will be writable, just not persistent.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.