qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PowerPC 440 support

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PowerPC 440 support
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:36:17 -0500

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Baojun Wang<address@hidden> wrote:
> I think the idea is very good, otherwise it will take too much time to
> finish, and it gives us a way to lauch kernel directly without a
> firmware.

Note however that this approach means qemu must initialize the target
as if u-boot had. Practically speaking, that means device tree,
initial register values, and also TLB entries. At least on some
platforms, u-boot leaves a UART mapping for early kernel use.

> I have some question about the new qemu device tree, in ppc440_bamboo.c:
>
> function bamboo_load_device_tree() is only usable when HAVE_FDT
> defined as 1, but currently (even with git version) version (0.10.5)
> we can not enable this feature? I have forced HAVE_FDT to be defined
> by:
>
> echo '#define HAVE_FDT 1' >> config-host.h
>
> &
>
> echo 'FDT_LIBS=-lfdt' >> config-host.mak
>
> but that lead to compile error, seems device tree in qemu is not fully
> populated?

Do you have libfdt installed? If so, configure should have found it,
and you wouldn't need to mess with config-host.* manually.

Currently there are no distribution packages for libfdt. You must
download dtc source (http://git.jdl.com/gitweb/?p=dtc.git;a=summary)
and install libfdt by hand from there.

-Hollis