qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Configuration vs. compat hints

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Configuration vs. compat hints
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:43:57 +0300

(adding cc)

On 06/15/2009 02:35 PM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
Not really.  QEMU gives just the host bridge a fixed slot[*].  All the
other slots are available.

qemu needs to export these two bits of information: the first free slot and the number of slots.

More generally, which slots are open. We can assume 1:31, but that's unlovely.

The real problem is devices that get implicitly added, like the SCSI
controller.  Those devices get their slots auto-assigned, which can
interfere with slot numbers chosen by the user.  We need a way to avoid
that, as you suggested elsewhere in this thread.

Paul/Anthony, can we have -vga pci_addr=, -usb-controller pci_addr=, and -drive pci_addr= (and later, -disk-controller)? Stalling while waiting for the ultimate config file is only generating pain and out-of-tree patches.

(I'd be quite happy constructing the entire machine config on the command line, but I realize it's just me)