qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Killing KQEMU

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Killing KQEMU
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 13:01:23 +0200

Am 02.06.2009 um 22:30 schrieb Paul Brook:

OTOH kqemu has some fairly serious bugs, and may need a complete rewrite to fix those bugs. IMHO current kqemu is effectively unsupportable[1] for any serious use, which is one of the reasons I'm not concerned about it going away
in the near future.

Paul

[1] Unsupportable == I'm not letting it anywhere near my production systems.

And that's exactly my point about KVM: What "production systems" are you talking of?! I doubt anyone today is using kqemu in their business for "serious use" like virtualizing servers. That's where you can tell people to buy recent hardware and to move to KVM.

But do you consider your private desktop computer a production environment? Development environment? Test environment? Pre-production environment? I guess it's all-in-one for most of us here, and we don't change it on a daily basis. Similar in CS institutions.

A very nice use case of QEMU is that it works cross-platform, cross- hardware.

I could have a virtual machine under Mac OS X on ppc at home, could take it on my i386 MacBook to university, run it e.g. on a non-KVM Fedora amd64 pool computer there, or on a Solaris amd64 server. Or the other direction: We got/made disk images for courses at university and had to analyze them somewhere. Even with malicious root kits and stuff installed, we did not run into apparent issues virtualizing them. With GbE connections you can easily transfer disk images around, accompanied by original checksums and a tiny shell script to run them - use cases that VMware, VirtualBox and KVM cannot keep up with yet.

Andreas