qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Killing KQEMU

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Killing KQEMU
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:35:43 +0200

On 06/02/09 22:09, Chris Frey wrote:
On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 01:54:30PM +0100, Paul Brook wrote:
osdep.c:/* FIXME: This file should be target independent. However it has kqemu
vl.c:    /* FIXME: This is a nasty hack because kqemu can't cope with dynamic
cpu-common.h: #ifdef CONFIG_KQEMU /* FIXME: This is wrong.  */
exec.c: #elif defined(TARGET_X86_64)&&  !defined(CONFIG_KQEMU)

These are fairly small annoyances, no?  I'm assuming they are, since they
exist at all, considering the frustration evident in:

One becoming more and more annonying as machine sizes grow is that kqemu can't handle more than 4GB of guest memory even on 64bit hosts. And it is a compile time, not a runtime dependency, i.e. the same limit is forced on the qemu binary too. To run big guests you have to build qemu without kqemu support.

I think that one is #4 in the list above.

Or let me put it another way: At some point I'll get fed up of the
limitations that kqemu currently imposes, and deliberately break it.

I would hope that anyone who deliberately breaks kqemu support would be
kind enough to post that fact to the mailing list, with a description of
what's broken and why, so that others may step up to the plate and fix it.

Removing the 4GB limit mentioned from the qemu code base above will make kqemu stop working.

cheers,
  Gerd