qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Networking patches queue

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Networking patches queue
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 17:51:09 +0200

Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>> Hi Anthony,
>>
>> Recently, Jan has posted 11 networking patches and I've posted 17, so I
>> thought I'd push out a tree with these queued up. Perhaps you want to
>> pull from there?
>>
>> Some notes:
>>
>>    - I've taken the first 6 of Jan's patches, but left 7-11 for now; see
>>      the review comments I just posted. I expect Jan will be able to
>>      fix them up fairly quickly
>>

> If the first 6 patches of Jan's series are ready to apply, wouldn't it
> make sense for him to submit that as a separate series?  In the very
> least, I'd like an Ack from Jan before applying his series partially.

You have the ack now. I'm very happy that Mark picks this up before it
started to bitrot too much.

Mark, do you plan more work in this domain in the next time? I would
have no problems to route my networking related stuff through one
coordinating tree, e.g. yours. Besides getting my current queue flushed
I still have

 o rework of host_net_redir (requires coordination with Glauber)
 o multi-instance slirp

on my agenda. And maybe more will comes once this is rolled out.

>>    - I've tried my best to fix up the param checking saga by reverting
>>      Kevin's patch, going with Jan's rollback to something closer to
>>      what was there originally and applying a small fixup patch
>>
>>    - Not all of these patches are completely isolated to networking
>>      code - e.g. the fork_exec() patch adds a SIGCHLD handler
>>
>>    - I haven't reviewed the slirp changes in great detail, but they
>>      look okay at a glance
>>

> I just got the tail end of your series before heading off on travel on
> Friday.  It still needs review and testing.
>
> Of course, if a patches series included test cases for the functionality
> it was implementing, it would certainly go a far way into reducing the
> amount of time it took to test those patches :-)

Well, with a test framework for qemu upstream...

Jan