qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Passing fds through a qemu char device

From: Cam Macdonell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Passing fds through a qemu char device
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 16:32:32 -0600

Hi,

I'm trying to pass eventfds between qemu processes and I'm trying to use a qemu char device to do this. AFAICT with a qemu_chr_device the polling handler only has support to call read()/write(), not send/recvmsg() which are necessary to send and receive fds with SCM_RIGHTS through the socket. Is this true or is there support in Qemu for recvmsg() that I'm not seeing?

If not, some options I can see are to add qemu support for qemu_chr_recvmsg() to call on the char device. Or I can simply manage the socket outside of qemu_chr_device, but the polling is helpful for notifications and I'd prefer to leverage qemu's existing support for that.

Thanks,
Cam