qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Question about KVM and PC speaker

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Question about KVM and PC speaker
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 23:50:48 +0200

Sebastian Herbszt wrote:
> Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>> I have implemented the beep for vgabios-6b and it works on bochs but
>>> fails on qemu.
>>> With "-soundhw pcspk" i should hear it thru the hosts pc speaker, right?
>>
>> Yep, that's how it should work. Mind to share your code and tell us
>> which test case you used?
>
> FreeDOS floppy with "debug" command and assembly code:
> mov ax,0e07
> xor bx,bx
> int 10
>
> With the modified vgabios (see below) it does beep on bochs on vista,
> but not on qemu.

Works fine for me!

Did you check twice that your modified vgabios is actually loaded by
qemu (e.g. via strace)? Moreover, does sound work at all with your qemu?
The image I tried [1] issues two beeps after loading (obviously via
direct hw access) - a good way to check general support. Note that one
reason for broken host sound with qemu can be OSS. For that reason I
always configure my qemu with --audio-drv-list=alsa.

Jan

PS: Your patch was mangled by your mail client. Fortunately, it was
small enough for manual fixing.

[1]http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/balder/balder10.img