qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] New device API

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] New device API
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 08:50:15 +0200

Am 10.05.2009 um 03:35 schrieb Anthony Liguori:

malc wrote:
-Wl,--whole-archive means QEMU can only be built with GNU ld.

Does upstream QEMU build with anything else today?

Yes, Sun's gcc uses their own ld, which doesn't support a number of GNU options.

And Apple's ld is also worth checking, though I'm not sure if GNU or not. I couldn't find that pattern in the man page at least.

With all that discussions about constructors and destructors and ordering and so on, aren't you reinventing C++ as an object-oriented language? Not that I terribly like it, but it seems simpler and more standardized than all those weird GCC extensions currently under consideration. It would seem possible to confine object-orientisms to hw/ and to keep performance-critical code like TCG pure C. I assume you don't like that idea though or someone would've suggested it earlier, but I thought I'd mention it for the sake of completeness.

Andreas