qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Bring in all the Linux headers we depend on in QE

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Bring in all the Linux headers we depend on in QEMU
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 10:52:48 +0300

Anthony Liguori wrote:
Sorry this explanation is long winded, but this is a messy situation.

In Linux, there isn't a very consistent policy about userspace kernel header inclusion. On a typical Linux system, you're likely to find kernel headers in three places.

glibc headers (/usr/include/{linux,asm})

These headers are installed by glibc. They very often are based on much older kernel versions that the kernel you have in your distribution. For software that depends on these headers, very often this means that your software detects features being missing that are present on your kernel. Furthermore, glibc only installs the headers it needs so very often certain headers have dependencies that aren't met. A classic example is linux/compiler.h and the broken usbdevice_fs.h header that depends on it. There are still distributions today that QEMU doesn't compile on because of this.

Today, most of QEMU's code depends on these headers.

/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build

These are the kernel headers that are installed as part of your kernel. In general, this is a pretty good place to find the headers that are associated with the kernel version you're actually running on. However, these headers are part of the kernel build tree and are not always guaranteed to be includable from userspace.

I thought these were for external modules, not for userspace.

<random kernel tree>

Developers, in particular, like to point things at their random kernel trees. In general though, relying on a full kernel source tree being available isn't a good idea. Kernel headers change dramatically across versions too so it's very likely that we would need to have a lot of #ifdefs dependent on kernel versions, or some of the uglier work arounds we have in usb-linux.c.

I think the best way to avoid #ifdefs and dependencies on broken/incomplete glibc headers is to include all of the Linux headers we need within QEMU. The attached patch does just this.

I think there's room for discussion about whether we really want to do this. We could potentially depend on some more common glibc headers (like asm/types.h) while bringing in less reliable headers (if_tun.h/virtio*). Including them all seems like the most robust solution to me though.

Comments?

I think we need to use the output of 'make headers-install', which removes things like __user and CONFIG_*.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.