qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] A Couple Of Questions Regarding QEMU

From: Pantelis Koukousoulas
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] A Couple Of Questions Regarding QEMU
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 09:48:22 +0300

Hi,

> 4.What is the status of Microsoft Windows 98 running in Qemu I searched the
> mailing list and found out that certain parts of Microsoft Windows 98 were
> not accelerated is this still the case with recent qemu releases.

Best way to find out is to try it, you may find out that e.g., these
parts are now
accelerated or that they are so infrequently executed that you don't
really care.

> 5. I know this is some progress in other products to get graphics
> acceleration in Windows Guests OS but they seem only intrested in getting
> Direct X/OpenGL Support On Microsoft Windows XP and onword,Is there some
> kind of limitiation that won't let them support Direct X /OpenGL in a
> Windows 98 guest though virtulization. I hope Qemu can support this in the
> future. Can NVidia SLI Multi-OS Support in Qemu solve this limitation or is
> it a driver issue.

Well, afaik the way the support is implemented is by replacing at least part of
the windows / linux gfx stack (details depend on the product). So, win98 has
different versions of gfx APIs that need replacement and since there
is "no market"
nobody cares to write this code.

OTOH, qemu is open-source software so nobody is going to stop you from
scratching
your itch if you are skilled and want / need win98 accelerated graphics.

> 6.Last Question will there be any speed advantage from porting Qemu to run
> on a GPGPU or a X86 GPU such as Intel Larrabee.

Probably this is a moot point since there is no (obvious) way to pull
off such a trick
as porting a complex piece of system software like qemu to a stream computer.

OTOH, the emulation of some of qemu's "virtual peripherals" might be
possible to speed up,
or the underlying OS could be speeded up in ways that might benefit qemu.
But before any of this happens, gpgpu would need to become more "mainstream"
and expose a standard cross-vendor API.

Cheers,
Pantelis