qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Newbie: Installing QEMU MIPS

From: Thomas Heller
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Newbie: Installing QEMU MIPS
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:41:41 +0200

I'm trying to create a qemu mips instance, following this article:

  http://www.blog.komrades.org/?p=37

but it fails.  Maybe someone can kend me a hand?

Ok, here is what I have been doing.

My host system is ubuntu 8.04, x86-64 system.
I installed the qemu package with apt-get, apparently version 0.9.1.

Created a disk with 'qemu-img create disk_hda 1G'.

Downloaded the Debian Mips image from
http://www.nongnu.org/qemu/mpis-test-0.2.tar.gz,
untarred into the directory where disk_hda is.
Edited the run-qemu script according to the page mentioned above, and started
it.

The system boots (I get a warning that it could not load a MIPS bios which I
ingored)
and the debian installer starts.

I select English as language, select a country, the hardware detection runs,
I enter a hostname and a domain name, I enter the download mirror manually
(mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca, directory /debian/, no proxy), get the (expected)
warning about 'No kernel modules were found', which I also ignore, and the
installer
starts downloading.

Downloading succeeds up to ~40% total, then downloading a file failes:
libdevmapper1.02.1-udeb and the installation cannot not continue.

I've tried other mirrors as well, but with the same results.  Any ideas
how to proceed?

--
Thanks,
Thomas