qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Tap network reloading

From: Clemens Kolbitsch
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Tap network reloading
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:25:38 +0200

Hi list,

I am using Qemu (with kqemu and virtual tap device) in a system to analyze
binaries. In this system, I have to start qemu very often with only very short
periods (around 10-15 seconds) in between.

Although Qemu itself does not have problems with it, I *very* often (i.e. 9
out of 10 times) see that the networking inside the guest is not accessible
from the outside nor the other way around for some time when loading a
snapshot.

So, when I start qemu, let it run for a few minutes, quit and restart Qemu and
load a snapshot, I cannot ping the guest network nor can I access the host (or
anything else for that matter) from inside the guest. After 1-2 minutes,
suddenly networking starts working. All other (non network-related) things
work fine right from the start.

I am running Qemu on a (Ubuntu) 2.6.28-11 linux host and a WinXP guest.
Maybe someone has experience with this and can help me, what would greatly be
appreciated :-)

Clemens