qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] updating git tree

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] updating git tree
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:22:11 +0200

"François Revol" <address@hidden> writes:

> <rant cause="I'm right but you might not have time to read it">

>> There is.
>>
>> git-commit by default commits exactly what you staged in the index.
>> If
>> you staged a delete, it'll commit a delete.  If you don't want that,
>> unstage it, say with git-add or git-reset.
>>
>> git-commit can also bypass the index.  Just list the files you want
>> commit.  If a listed file no longer exists, the commit will remove
>> it.
>
> This sounds confuse...
> anyway.

The index can be confusing for beginners.  Just think about it as your
commit staging area.  Having a staging area lets me construct what I
want to commit incrementally.  I find that especially useful when my
working tree is in a messy state.

Try git-add -p some time, and you'll understand.

>> > (overengineering)
>>
>> If you want a diff, use git-diff.
>>
>> If you want e-mail ready for sending, use git-format-patch.
>
> I want a patch ready to submit, that is, a diff with the Signed-off-by
> tag as it is supposed to be able to do this, and the commit summary as
> it knows about it.
>
> There is no reason it would make me a mail in any format that I don't
> use.
> mbox is not standard, despite it storing messages themselves in RFC
> format.

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about.

git-format-patch puts each commit in a separate file.  Mbox comes into
play only if you use --stdout.

> <obvious>
> Besides the command is named git format-*patch* *not* format-mail!
> </obvious>

>From its man page:

NAME
       git-format-patch - Prepare patches for e-mail submission

>> Me thinks you are still fighting the tool instead of working with it.
>> No happiness found down that way.
>
> It's the tool that is fighting me instead of doing what I want it to
> do.
> It tries to impose a format on me that I don't want.
> There is no reason I want to setup a mail account on this box while I
> have all my mail on another box on another OS in another format (almost
> maildir just better). And I don't like having send-mails hiding
> elsewhere.

Maybe you're looking for git-show.

> Why does it think I want to let it send mails for me ? I don't like
> apps that does things behind my back, that sounds so Windows-ish. :^\
> I thought UNIX philosophy was all about interoperability...
>
> </rant>

I trust venting your frustration is good for you, but I doubt it's good
for getting help :)

> Let's see if it still works today...
>
> No commit since fc1c67bc2a43a53f7315b602e0c67f9604835fe1 ?
> Hmm oh, no way to do a "git log" on a git: url without a clone ?

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to do.