qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] socket from virtual eth

From: Vincent Perrier
Subject: [Qemu-devel] socket from virtual eth
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 00:40:52 +0200

Hello,
I use the sockets (tcp) to simulate my ethernet devices inside
the qemu-kvm machines with the line:

"-net socket,vlan=%d,connect=127.0.0.1:%d"

As you see I use the lo interface, and the use of a port on the
host machine is not required.

The software using this soft is a graphical virtual network manager, at
http://clownix.net as it was made for the UML virtual machine at first,
it used sun sockets to emulate ethernet inside UMLs.

I wonder if I will have (or have not yet found) unix sockets instead
of ip ones for the qemu eth (I have the basic qemu of fedora 10).
I find it very strange not to have unix sockets for eth, since I use
"-serial unix:%s" for the ttySx access of qemu machines and those are
unix sockets.

And for the tcp sockets, I lost some time before I found out about
the 4 first bytes giving the size of the incoming packet.

I have yet another question, do you think that the network performance
is reduced through sockets, or is it the same as an access such as tap?

Regards
Vincent Perrier