qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Citrix VHD implementation

From: Philipp Schmid
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Citrix VHD implementation
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:56:00 +0100

Hi,

as some of you might know, citrix has open sourced the library they use to read and write to VHD disk images.

I'm trying to implementing a block-vhd driver on top of libvhd, but my C knowledge is very limited as I haven't written any code in C for a long time.

What I already have is a git repo with the libvhd code extracted from the xen-unstable tree with the blocktap2 patches applied. libvhd also comes with vhd-util, a utility to create and modify vhd images. I have only tried to compile it on ubuntu 8.10, so it might not work on your system.

The git repo is hosted on github: http://github.com/schmidp/libvhd/tree/master

Are there any docs about how to implement a block driver for qemu?
As far as I have seen from the qemu code, block_int.h defines the interface and you register your driver in block.c, but that is all I've found out so far.

I will try to implement a synchrones driver first as it seems more simple...

greets Philipp

ps: I'm not affiliated with citrix in any way