qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Hardware watchdogs (patch for discussion only)

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Hardware watchdogs (patch for discussion only)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:30:33 +0200

On 2/26/09, Richard W.M. Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:51:06AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>  > I think we can only support the following options
>  >
>  >  - shutdown - graceful shutdown of guest via ACPI event via
>  >               qemu_system_powerdown_request()
>  >  - poweroff - hard immediate power off of guest machine via
>  >               qemu_system_shutdown_request()
>  >  - reset    - hard reset of the guest machine via
>  >               qemu_system_reset_request()
>  >  - pause    - stop the guest CPU(s)
>

> Thanks.
>
>  My experiments show that qemu_system_powerdown_request does nothing
>  visible, even for a recent (F-10) guest running acpid.
>  "system_powerdown" in the monitor also does nothing for the same
>  guest.  Maybe this is a recent regression in QEMU?

It's only implemented on Sparc32 and even there Linux does not have a
driver for the power fail interrupt. The idea was that power supply,
power button press or UPS would notify the OS that power will fail and
the system should be shut down.

On Sparc32 actually the power fail interrupt doesn't exactly indicate
what I thought it does, there are two power supplies and the other one
may fail but system can still be running for a long time.