qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 12:17:30 -0600

Andreas Färber wrote:

Am 05.02.2009 um 18:51 schrieb Ben Taylor:

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Paul Brook <address@hidden> wrote:

In practice Fabice is pretty much the only person who's ever done significant work on kqemu (except maybe some fairly minor host OS porting bits). There's never been a public source repository, so you get to use whatever random
tarballs Fabrice leaves lying around. If those don't work, noone really
cares.

I've maintained tarballs for both 1.4.0 and 1.3.0 at the qemu project
on OpenSolaris.org, and just realized that I never put into the SVN repo
the mods I made to the 1.4.0 code.  I had tested it with Solaris SXCE
and Ubuntu 08.04.  If anyone shows some interest in testing, I'll import
the 1.4.0 into the SVN repo.  I believe that I picked up the minor
patches that were posted to the list to fix compilations on linux
with some various kernels.

I have happily used kqemu 1.4 on OpenSolaris for several months without problems, running Linux in sparc-softmmu and Haiku/BeOS in i386-softmmu.

I did have to tweak the Makefile a little for kqemu to link on OpenSolaris/amd64, I believe. Possibly by replacing ld with path/to/amd64/ld.

There has been no rumor of any KVM port to Solaris. Linux kernel integration cannot be the only criteria. It used to work in early December - could we set up a Git repo for Fabrice's official tarball? Then we could apply the OpenSolaris.org changes on a branch and play with our own Git forks to keep it working as long as there is no alternative. Asking for maintainers of unversioned software seems doomed to fail.

Set up a repository somewhere.  You don't need anyone's permission for that.

Savannah isn't a great place for hosting. You can only have one git repo per project. I'd suggest something like github or repo.or.cz.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Andreas