qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cutting a new QEMU release

From: Mark McLoughlin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cutting a new QEMU release
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 12:43:34 +0000

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 14:48 -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> What do people think?  TCG seems to be in a good place.  We've got
> virtio, KVM, live migration, tons of new devices, bsd-user, etc.
>
> We could decide to cut one by the end of the month.  I'm already doing
> some test work in QEMU so I can follow up with some more detailed notes
> about what is working and what isn't working.  That gives us some time
> to decide if there's anything we need to fix before a release.

Sounds great to me.

>From a Fedora perspective, qemu-0.9.1 is a year old and upstream has
moved on a lot. As a package maintainer, it's hard to justify caring too
much about bugs reported against 0.9.1, since the bug is likely to have
very little relevance to the latest upstream.

Also, it would be really nice to have a kvm-userspace based off a solid
qemu release ... qemu moving so fast is great, but it means it's hard to
predict the stability of a given kvm-userspace release.

Some questions:

  - Will there be a period before the release when only bug fixes are
    merged?

  - Will there be a release candidate?

  - Is there any missing features that we might push out the release
    date for?

  - Post-release, is there any interest in maintaining a stable branch
    until the next release?

  - The plan for the next release is roughly 6 months, yes?

Thanks,
Mark.