qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM->ARM

From: M. Warner Losh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM->ARM
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:36:17 -0700 (MST)

In message: <address@hidden>
            Paul Brook <address@hidden> writes:
: On Sunday 18 January 2009, Nitin Natarajan wrote:
: > Hi all,
: >         I have been thinking about doing a project that will try to run
: > windows mobile executable on a linux based mobile phone. I just wanted to
: > know if this would be feasible and if I could use parts of qemu to achieve
: > the same. I also thought of extracting the assemble from the windows
: > executable and trying to run that after doing a 1->1 ARM mapping. Your
: > comments will be very helpful. Looking forward to hearing from you.
:
: Sounds like you just need to port Wine.
:
: You don't need to do any instruction translation or hardware emulation, so
: qemu is unlikely to be of any real use to you.

The other option would be to do something ala the Citrus Project from
a few years ago on NetBSD and execute PECOFF binaries directly in the
kernel.

Wine has a LOT of x86 specific code in it and would be very hard to
port.

Warner