qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Merging improvements from VirtualBox OSE into qemu?

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Merging improvements from VirtualBox OSE into qemu?
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 22:17:11 +0000

Frank Mehnert wrote:
>  * the PIIX3/PIIX4 ATA controller (almost completely rewritten, you
>    might find 5% of the code in the QEMU ATA emulation)

PIIX4 is needed if you're importing a Microsoft Virtual PC image with
a Windows guest.  It won't boot on PIIX3 without some fiddly register
changes, due to Windows booting silliness.  QEMU uses PIIX3, making
such imports fiddly.

>  * backends for VDI, VMDK, VHD file formats

I wonder if the VHD (Virtual PC) backend is more reliable than QEMU's
VHD backend.  I've seen consistently corrupt images when QEMU reads a
VHD, whether in QEMU proper or using qemu-img to convert.

-- Jamie