qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Merging improvements from VirtualBox OSE into qemu?

From: C . W . Betts
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Merging improvements from VirtualBox OSE into qemu?
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 21:37:23 -0700

On Dec 24, 2008, at 7:33 AM, Liraz Siri wrote:

I don't really understand the implementation VirtualBox uses to
accomplish running 64bit VM guests on a 32bit host. Is it possible
VirtualBox have figured out how to run 64bit instructions on a host
running in 32bit mode? (otherwise they'll need to be doing some kind of
emulation)

Testing this VirtualBox feature on hardware that doesn't support 64bit
instructions will be revealing...

It probably uses something similar to the way the Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 kernel works. All versions of Mac OS X (excluding the upcoming Snow Leopard, and then only supported on select hardware) use a 32-bit Kernel, but on 10.4, and more so on 10.5, it can run 64-bit apps. How it does this, I don't know, but it is possible that VirtualBox is using the same hardware calls.