qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: gdbstub: packet reply is too long

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: gdbstub: packet reply is too long
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 21:34:00 +0000

> >> From a higher perspective, it is surely not the cleanest approach. But
> >> it still appears to be the only one which helps us working around this
> >> gdb shortcoming.
> >
> > Actually it isn't. You could add an explicit switch.
>
> And what would this buy us? I would have to go from your gdb terminal to
> qemu, probably the monitor, just to switch manually what now happens
> automatically. I don't see the case where you wouldn't want to switch
> when you try to debug 16 or 32 bit code, so what would be the gain? Or
> do you want some switch to disable this automatic register format
> switching?

Because, as I've said several times before, the "automatic switching" is
wrong. It may happen to work in your very limited circumstances, but there
are many fairly common circumstances (e.g. stepping between a 64-bit kernel
and a 32-bit userspace) where it's just plain broken. I object strongly to
a "fix" that prevents a proper gdb from working.

> There are internal issues in gdb (hard coupling of current and target
> arch) that will not allow this to be fixed in the near future

Really? I'm pretty sure other architectures already manage it.

Paul