qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [6064] Implement device tree support needed for Bamboo

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [6064] Implement device tree support needed for Bamboo emulation
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 10:17:17 -0600

Hollis Blanchard wrote:
If you'd prefer to make libfdt mandatory, I'm fine with that.

No, it shouldn't be mandatory :-)

This patch introduces a dependency on libfdt for flat device tree support.
I don't like the way this is done.

AFAIK libfdt isn't present in any of the major distros. I thought the conclusion was that we should import libfdt into qemu.

That was our conclusion, but Anthony never agreed.

Because it's better to let the distros maintain this. That way, they can deal with security issues, etc.

FWIW, I have requested that Fedora and Debian package libfdt, and they
agreed in principle, but it's still missing in Fedora 10 for example.

As long as it's heading toward distros, it should be fine. If we decide to use libfdt for core QEMU functionality (like config file), we should revisit this though.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori