qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migration - exec: support to be reintroduced?

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migration - exec: support to be reintroduced?
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:03:30 +0200

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
We used it to implement save-to-file, exec'ing 'dd'. I'd rather prefer
that we had a more explicit 'migrate to a file' capability rather than
the hack of execing dd.

(qemu) acceptfd blah
receives an file descriptor from the monitor using SCM_RIGHTS and assigns it to the tag 'blah'
(qemu) migrate fd:blah
migrates to the fd denominated by the tag 'blah'
(qemu) closefd blah

You can use literal numbers instead of tags to refer to file descriptors inherited from the environment:

(qemu) migrate fd:17