qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: VNC Password

From: François Revol
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: VNC Password
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:10:10 +0200 CEST

> Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Gerd Hoffmann <address@hidden> writes:
> >> <shameless plug>
> >> You might want to check out http://dl.bytesex.org/releases/qemu-gtk/
> > > Sets
> >> a random password via monitor, then connects to the vnc server
> > > using the
> >> password just set.  Password is never stored anywhere, it sets a
> > > new
> >> random one each time you start the ui to see the screen of your
> > > VM.
> >> </shameless plug>
> >
> > That's not something I'd want to use while I'm trying to get rid of
> > any
> > kind of X dependencies.
>
> qemu-gtk can handle that remotely too.  monitor must listen on tcp
> then
> though, which you might not want to do for security reasons ...
>
> Back to the original question: read password from file isn't
> implemented
> as far I know.

When I want to specify passwords on command line I usually do something
like:

read p
qemu ...,$p

That makes sure it's not stored in the history.

You can as well use read p < afile

If you really don't want to have the string as part of the environment
you can try command substitution...

qemu ...,$(cat afile)

Alike, the real password won't be stored inthe history.

man bash should help :)

François.