qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [5323] Implement an fd pool to get real AIO with posix-

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [5323] Implement an fd pool to get real AIO with posix-aio
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 11:01:50 -0500

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:

The fundamental problem with posix-aio is that it limits itself to one thread
per-file descriptor.  I don't know why this is, but this patch provides a simple
mechanism to work around this (duplicating the file descriptor).

This isn't a great solution, but it seems like a reasonable intermediate step
between posix-aio and a custom thread-pool to replace it.

Are there plans to support vectored block requests with the thread pool
implementation?

Yes, that's the primary reason for doing a new thread pool implementation. Of course, we need a zero-copy DMA API before such a thing would make sense.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

cheers,
  Gerd