qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: fix usb-linux.c compile orror

From: Robert Reif
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: fix usb-linux.c compile orror
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:31:11 -0400

Anthony Liguori wrote:
Vince Weaver wrote:

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Robert Reif wrote:
RH9 system (2.4.20-31.9smp).

Huh. I'm amazed it compiles with just that change on such an old kernel.

I have similar problems compiling on a SuSE 10.1 system which really isn't that old. Since I only use linux-user I'd been too lazy to investigate the problem.

Why should Qemu not build on older systems? I'd imagine that linux 2.4 / 2.6 compatability would be easier to handle than linux /OSX /Windows compatability.

I think we should support 2.4 kernels FWIW. I'm just waiting for someone to send a patch that adds a configure check instead of breaking the build for newer kernels.

I think the best way to do it would be to try and detect the right header files for usb pass through in configure, and disable usb-linux.c entirely if they aren't available.

Regards,

Anthony LIguori

Vince

The problem in this instance is that a structure that usb uses was copied from a linux header file so the c file wasn't dependent on linux headers. Unfortunately the c file wasn't changed to use the new structure.