qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] jumbo frames: needing some help

From: martin . rauh
Subject: [Qemu-devel] jumbo frames: needing some help
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:37:42 +0200

Hello, everyone!

Sorry for the inconvenience, but as a part of my diploma thesis, I am creating a virtual NIC for QEMU, in order to support a new cluster OS of the university. (Saving the overhead caused by emulating real hardware, it is not emulating an existing NIC.) Anyway, now it seems to be working correctly, except for handling jumbo frames, which I have to make available.

I connected two QEMU instances by -net socket,listen and -net socket,connect options and I can send and receive packets in the guests. If I'm sending a 9000 byte packet, or bigger than 4 kByte, it is received completely by the other instance, but then QEMU crashes.

I didn't find an according bug in the code of my NIC.
MTU of 127.0.0.1 is 16436...

Is there something special that I have to take care of, dealing with jumbo frames? Unfortunately I'm no expert in networking...

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Martin Rauh.