qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [sparc64] qemu crashes after the "OpenBIOS for Sparc64"

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [sparc64] qemu crashes after the "OpenBIOS for Sparc64" banner is printed
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:16:38 +0300

On 8/28/08, Jakub Jermar <address@hidden> wrote:

>  It works on amd64 for me too, so it's an ia32 issue.
>  If I sent you an ia32 coredump, would that be of any help to you?

No thanks, I can no reproduce it. Maybe the reason can be found with bisection.

> > I wouldn't trust the Qemu version of VGA on Sparc64 yet, there could
> > be some wrong assumptions. Once a real kernel can boot, initialize the
> > VGA and preferably start X, then we should know that it's realistic.
> >

>  That would imply that the HelenOS kernel is somewhat unreal, which
>  is not easily possible since it can drive real UltraSPARC machines :-)
>  (And yes, on a real machine, it doesn't end with the "Booting the
>  kernel..." message).

I just meant that you should not use Qemu as reference. If your VGA
code runs unmodified in Qemu, it's a sign that we could trust
Qemu/Sparc64 VGA coupling.

>  A simple unaccelerated framebuffer support is not a big deal, all we
>  need is an address, width, height and color depth and maybe a heads
>  up if the device is weird (such as the Creator 3D).

The current Sun4u machine uses only PC devices. It's of course
possible to add other devices, but I'd rather do later, after for
example working PCI or even interrupt controller.