qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] add byteordered types

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] add byteordered types
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:57:19 -0500

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
Personally, I dislike the whole struct thing.  I even further dislike
having multiple sets of conversion functions that are used in different
places in the code.

Are we sure that this is something that we want to do?

As far I know this struct trick is the only way to have gcc check access
to variables with an specific byteorder is done the correct way.  Avi
sguuested that and I also think this checking would be useful.  I could
live without that though if there is an agreement that we'll just stick
with the current, unchecked cpu_to_<order><size> functions.

Yeah, AFAIK, it's the only way to enforce this sort of thing but it's also ugly. If we were starting from scratch, I could see the value in it but there's already a ton of code that's not going to be using this mechanism that noone is going to convert. That makes me think there isn't going to be a lot of value in it and will lead to a lot of overall confusion.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

cheers,
  Gerd